Non-PO Payment Request

LAST UPDATED: October 17, 2018

What You Should Know

Non-PO Payment requests are used only in very select cases when the University needs to make a payment to a supplier, a faculty or staff member, a guest, or the government or other institution. 

Situations in which it is appropriate to request a Non-PO Payment include;

  • reimbursement paid to an employee for moving and relocation expenses,
  • payment to a student of a one-time graduate fellowship,
  • payment to speaker in the form of an honoraria,
  • reimbursable travel expenses for a Princeton guest, and
  • payment for items such as royalties, permits, taxes, and utilities.

Not all suppliers are eligible for a Non-PO Payment request. Active Suppliers for whom we have opened a purchase order cannot be paid via a Non-PO Payment request. For suppliers with a purchase order, requests for payment must be initiated via a requisition. 

For types of purchases appropriate for Non-PO Payment requests see the Buying & Paying Guide.

For a listing of Payment Types and Accounts, see the Non-PO Payment Types Guide.

Request a Supplier

Before a Non-PO Payment can be requested or issued, you must Request a Supplier.

Create a Non-PO Payment

Documentation and Forms

Documentation (invoices, receipts, tax, or other information) can be scanned and attached electronically to the Non-PO Payment request.

Learn more about Documentation Requirements for Setting Up a Supplier.


Tel (609) 258-3080
Fax (609) 258-0442

Princeton University
Office of Finance & Treasury
701 Carnegie Center
Princeton, NJ 08540

Google Map
Princeton Shuttle


7 New South
Tel (609) 258-3080
Fax (609) 258-5040
Open Monday through Friday,
8:45 am — 5:00 pm


Customer service, cashiering,
check pick-up, financial system access


The General Ledger is your link to updates on people, policies, and other information related to financial transactions at the University.

Download Current Issue
Download Past Issues


How can we better serve you? Submit comments, questions, and ideas to our customer service department.