Travel-Related Insurance

LAST UPDATED: August 28, 2018

What You Should Know

In addition to business travel accident insurance, negotiated rental car rates and insurance, and excess automobile insurance when you use your own car for University business, Princeton University helps to ensure the safety and security of faculty, staff, and student travelers everywhere in the world.

Travel Tips

Get an International SOS Card
If you’ll be traveling internationally, carry an International SOS membership card.

International Health Coverage
The University provides international health coverage for all faculty, staff, and students with a current passport or student visa, who are temporarily traveling or residing outside of their home country of regular residence, as part of a University activity, program, research, or other sponsored travel. There is NO enrollment required and there is no separate ID card, you would utilize the International SOS membership card.

Business Travel Accident Insurance

When you travel on University business, our business travel accident insurance provides benefits to you or your survivors. There is no cost to you for this coverage.

Benefits & Eligibility
If you die as the result of an accident while you are on authorized University business, your beneficiary will be paid a lump sum equal to five times your annual base earnings up to a maximum of $500,000.

  • The amount of your benefit is rounded up to the nearest $1,000.
  • Once you reach age 60, the amount of the benefit gradually decreases each year until you are age 70.

You are eligible for coverage under the policy if you are a member of the University faculty or staff on regular payroll in active employment and those employees in a "visiting" rank who are specifically directed to travel on behalf of the University. You are covered while traveling on University business as long as you travel to a site off University premises and travel expenses are reimbursed by the University.

Student Benefits
This policy also provides $1,000 in accidental death coverage for students traveling abroad on University-sponsored trips, as well as students participating in academic credit programs and internships in the United States.

What’s Not Covered
Your regular commute to and from work is not covered.

The plan will not pay benefits incurred as a result of:

  • Suicide, attempted suicide, or intentionally self-inflicted injury, whether you are sane or insane at the time.
  • Service in the armed forces of any country or international authority.
  • War or an act of war, whether declared or undeclared, which occurs within the geographical limits, or territorial waters, or airspace above:
         --> your country of permanent residence.
         --> the United States, Canada, and Iraq, except this will not include Terrorism.
  • Injury or death sustained while being in, exiting, or entering any aircraft owned, leased, or operated by Princeton University, on behalf of Princeton University, or operated by an employee of Princeton University on Princeton University's behalf.

If you have questions about this coverage, contact risk management or human resources.

Renting Cars in the Contiguous United States

The University has negotiated competitive rental rates and primary insurance for liability and physical damage with two rental companies: Enterprise and Avis. These rates and insurance only apply to business rentals within the 48 contiguous United States.

When renting a car from a rental agency other than the two listed above, purchase only the minimum coverage of insurance required by the rental agency.

Renting a Car in Alaska, Hawaii, or Outside the United States
Since the University negotiated rates and primary insurance do not apply outside the contiguous United States, purchase the minimum level of insurance required by the rental agency when traveling in Alaska, Hawaii or outside the United States.

Combining Business & Personal Use
When renting a car for a combination of business and personal use your personal automobile coverage, or any additional insurance you purchase, will cover your personal use of the rental car.

Damage & Accidents

  • All accidents, regardless of the severity or damage, must be reported immediately to risk management, your department manager, and to the rental agency.
  • If applicable, departments are responsible for the first $1,000 of damage to a rental vehicle.

Student Car Rentals
Students renting vehicles locally using University funds must comply with the following requirements and are only permitted to rent vehicles through Enterprise.

Enterprise has agreed to rent vehicles and to include primary insurance coverage to University approved student drivers between the ages of 18 and 25 who are renting a vehicle for official University business. Only approved student drivers are authorized to rent vehicles with University funds.

Reservations for approved student drivers must be made in advance using the University's corporate number. Students will need to purchase the Supplemental Liability Protection Coverage at the time of rental.

Enterprise has agreed to rent mini-vans to approved student drivers who are at least 18 years of age and on official University business. Student drivers must have successfully completed the online test and must be van certified through the University’s department of public safety. Students must also present authorization from a University administrator at the time of the rental.

Personal Auto Use

When you use your own vehicle for University business, your personal insurance is always primary and will provide coverage for damages incurred if there is an accident involving your vehicle. When using your personal auto for University business, you are required to comply with all state regulations — including maintaining the minimal amount of insurance coverage.

The University provides reimbursement for personal auto use at the current IRS mileage rate. Requests for reimbursement should be submitted on an expense report in Concur.  Functionality in Concur will automatically apply the current IRS mileage rate when mileage is entered on an expense report. A portion of the mileage allowance is considered to cover the costs for gas, oil, repairs, depreciation, and insurance, so you cannot also request reimbursement for gas when you use your own car for University business.

Damage & Accidents
If your vehicle is damaged while being used for University business, the University will reimburse you for your deductible up to a maximum of $1,000 for physical damage to your vehicle only. The University’s automobile liability policy may cover third party liability damages in excess of the coverage available under your personal auto policy.

If your car is damaged by a University vehicle and the driver of the University vehicle is determined to be at fault, the University will pay for all necessary repairs.


Tel (609) 258-3080
Fax (609) 258-0442

Princeton University
Office of Finance & Treasury
701 Carnegie Center
Princeton, NJ 08540

Google Map
Princeton Shuttle


7 New South
Tel (609) 258-3080
Fax (609) 258-5040
Open Monday through Friday,
8:45 am — 5:00 pm


Customer service, cashiering,
check pick-up, financial system access


The General Ledger is your link to updates on people, policies, and other information related to financial transactions at the University.

Download Current Issue
Download Past Issues


How can we better serve you? Submit comments, questions, and ideas to our customer service department.