What You Should Know
The Grants Projection Tool is a customized excel workbook which pulls downloaded sponsored project financial information into individual editable project worksheets. Within the tool, users review and update expense and projection data by project in a series of tabs. This information is summarized by PI and project data entered into the tool, overrides report information.
The Grants Projection Tool Excel file must be used in conjunction with the FIN076 – Grants Projection Tool Extract, which is located in the Sponsored Research folder in the Information Warehouse. This is a customized report that is solely meant to be used with the Grants Projection Tool excel file.
Grants Projection Tool is used to:
For sponsored awards only, users will be able to:
- Anticipate and plan for labor commitments which are not yet reflected in Labor Accounting/reports
- Anticipate the impact of additional (contingency) funding
- Project the impact of equipment purchases prior to PO creation
- Project the impact of hiring new personnel
- Understand how to manage funding across multiple project years
- Consolidate sponsored funding information into a single view by PI and/or project
- Compare and anticipate month-to-month expenditures in a single view
Grants Projection Tool is not used to:
- Make projections on non-sponsored research funds
- Compile information for financial reporting
- A PI wants to know if he or she has enough sponsored funding to hire another post-doc
- A PI wants to know if he or she has enough sponsored funding to make an equipment purchase
Overview of the Grants Projection Tool Excel File
The Grants Projection Tool Excel file is organized into five main tabs:
Summary Data Tab
The Summary Data tab is an editable tab which enables navigation throughout the workbook. Supports the entire workbook.
LA Edit Tab
Provides the user witha month by month view of all personnel costs that are committed in the Labor Accounting system. The user has the ability to review all of this data, and if anything is incorrect or missing, the user can plug in the correct values.
Project Detail by Month Tab(s)
Provides a month-by-month view of project financial activity. This tab pulls information from the report extract. The user then has the ability to review all of this data, and if anything is incorrect or missing, then the user can plug in the correct values.
Project Summary Tab(s)
Provides a summary of a single project. There is one Project Summary worksheet for each project, so there may be multiple project summaries in a single workbook. If a PI has four projects, there will be four Project Summary tabs (one per project). The fields in this tab are not editable. The information in this tab pulls from the override column in the Project Data Entry tab.
PI Summary Tab
Provides a summary of all projects for a single PI. There is one PI Summary tab (one worksheet) for the entire workbook. The fields in this tab are not editable. The information in this tab pulls from each Project Summary tab.
Overview of the Grants Projection Tool Report
The report is comprised of three tabs:
This tab has all budget, expense, non-LA encumbrance and project demographic data for a PI’s sponsored projects. It will show this data from inception up through the user defined through date.
This tab returns all personnel that are committed on a PI’s projects in the Labor Accounting System. This tab will include every open year in LA (previous fiscal year, current fiscal year, and 2 future fiscal years).
This tab will return a list of all projects that were included in the report output.
Grants Projection Tool Information Warehouse Navigation
University Financials - Prime > Sponsored Research > FIN076 – Grants Projection Tool Extract