What You Should Know
Charges to sponsored awards need an extra level of review to ensure compliance with terms and conditions as required by government and sponsor regulations and University policies. Review of Sponsored Projects is focused on inception-to-date rather than fiscal year-to-date activities.
- Current period activity and ensure alignment to inception to-date budget.
- Sponsored awards for identification of any potentially unallowable expenses (e.g., general office supplies, meals and entertainment including alcoholic beverages, and individual membership dues), which are generally not permissible on the award.
- Compare current month activity to prior month.
- Review the burn rate compared to project timeline.
- Confirm F&A rate for the sponsored project and ensure it is being properly applied.
- Identify awards and projects that are ending soon (within 90 days) and determine what action may be required.
- Ensure all valid expenses have posted to the general ledger within the performance period, but no later than the close out period (generally up to 90 days) to meet billing requirements.
- Identify awards and projects that have ended and perform required close out processes.
- Investigate unexpected negative balances, as they may indicate expenses that were posted to an incorrect chartstring, or have not been posted yet.