Princeton University contracts with Western Union to provide international students with an alternative to wire transfers. Western Union offers a competitive rate of exchange as well as the convenience of being able to make electronic payments in many international currencies through a local bank. Please follow the instructions below:
Please have your Princeton University ID (PUID) number ready to enter. This number is printed on your Princeton University issued ID card or found on your admission/enrollment contract. Incoming freshmen can also find their PUID by logging into the Matriculation website.
While you will be asked to enter the US Dollar amount you wish to pay, your actual payment amount should be made using your home currency. Western Union will handle the conversion and will pay Princeton University in US Dollars. If you elect to pay in US Dollars from your home country, please note that Western Union will charge a $20.00 handling fee for converting USD to US Dollars. There is no fee for converting foreign currency-to- US Dollars.
- Based on your student type, click the appropriate link below to begin the payment process. Enter the information required including name, email address, and PUID number.
- Enter the US dollar amount of the payment you wish to make. Select the payment currency or associated country from which you will make your payment. If your currency is not listed, please contact student accounts for wire payment instructions.
- A conversion at a competitive rate of exchange from the US dollar amount will be applied to your chosen currency. You will have the opportunity to view the amount in your local currency before committing to the transaction.
- Finalize the transaction by following the instructions on the web page.
- Print the confirmation page containing the transaction reference number and take it to your local bank to initiate the transfer of funds (or proceed with the transfer from your online banking site). Your bank will need to include the reference number to complete the Western Union transaction. There are no additional charges added by Western Union or Princeton University, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank. Please note that the currency quote on the confirmation page is valid for 72 hours.
- Western Union will then forward the US dollar amount to Princeton University where it will be credited to your student billing account, typically within 5 business days.
Click the appropriate link below to make your payment or to obtain an exchange quote in your local currency: