Fleet Safety and University-Approved Drivers

Princeton University’s fleet includes more than 350 vehicles—owned and leased cars, vans, trucks, golf carts, and even some construction vehicles—that are used to transport people and things on and around campus. These vehicles are operated by employees and students under stringent safety guidelines. University vehicles may only be operated by approved drivers and only for University business.

Departmental Responsibilities

Each department with responsibility for University vehicles appoints a departmental fleet representative to be the primary contact and liaison with Risk Management and the Fleet Safety Committee. If you are a departmental fleet representative, it is your responsibility to:

  • Allow only Approved Drivers: Ensure that all departmental drivers, including students, become approved drivers.

  • Report License Issues: Notify Risk Management if you become aware that a departmental driver’s license has been revoked or suspended for any reason.

  • License and Register Vehicles: Ensure that each vehicle owned or leased by the department is properly licensed and registered.

  • Record Activity: Maintain a list of all departmental vehicles and a record of the maintenance, repairs, and inspections on each.

  • Keep Paperwork Current: Ensure that all departmental vehicles have current inspection, registration, crossing permits, and insurance documents.

  • Note New Vehicles: Notify Procurement Services when a new vehicle, including a cart, is purchased or leased.

  • Report Accidents or Damage ASAP: Notify Risk Management of accidents or vehicle damage the day of the incident or the next business day. Report a claim.

Driver Responsibilities

If you are a driver, you must:

  • Become Authorized: Complete the driver authorization process.

  • Report Incidents to Your Rep: Report any accidents, damage, or moving violations that occur while you are driving a Princeton University-owned or leased vehicle—including carts—to your supervisor and / or your departmental fleet representative within 24 hours.

  • Report Incidents to Risk Management: Report any accidents or damage that occurs while driving a personal or rental vehicle on Princeton University business to Risk Management within 24 hours. Report a claim

  • Report License Issues: Notify your supervisor and / or your departmental fleet representative immediately if your driver’s license is revoked or suspended.

  • Remain Compliant: Comply with the Fleet Safety Policy.

Safety First Driving Decals

All licensed University vehicles and certain carts are affixed with a “Safety is my Goal” decal. Each decal in imprinted with a toll-free telephone number and individual vehicle identification. Callers reporting compliments or unsafe driving practices reach the Safety-First Hotline, which reports them in turn to Risk Management. These reports are also shared with department fleet safety representatives and reviewed by the Fleet Safety Committee.

Become an Authorized University Driver

Cart Operation, Crossing Permits, and Crossing Points

Carts include golf carts and any other motorized, unlicensed vehicle used to transport individuals or equipment around campus. Under New Jersey Law, carts are permitted to cross public roads only at designated crossing points. View a map of crossing points on and around campus. Apply for a crossing permit through the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.

Revocation of Driving Privileges

Drivers may have their on-campus privileges revoked and may undergo disciplinary action for using a University-owned, leased, or rented vehicle in the following contexts:

  • Without authorization

  • While under the influence of alcohol or drugs

  • Being involved in a negligent homicide or aggravated assault with a motor vehicle

  • Operating a vehicle with a suspended driver’s license

  • Using a vehicle for commission of a felony

  • Receiving citations for reckless driving, a hit and run, or other moving violations

If you are a student, you may be subject to disciplinary review by the appropriate University dean and/or notification of the police department.