Travel-Related Insurance

In addition to business travel accident insurance, negotiated rental car rates and insurance, and excess automobile insurance when you use your own car for University business, Princeton University helps to ensure the safety and security of faculty, staff, and student travelers everywhere in the world.

Business Travel Accident Insurance

When you travel on University business, Princeton’s Business Travel Accident Insurance provides benefits to you or your survivors in the case of an accident. There is no cost to you for this coverage.

Car Rentals

Personal Auto Use

When you use your own vehicle for University business, your personal insurance is always primary and will provide coverage for damages incurred if there is an accident involving your vehicle. When using your personal auto for University business, you are required to comply with all state regulations—including maintaining the minimal amount of insurance coverage.

The University provides reimbursement for personal auto use at the current IRS mileage rate. Requests for reimbursement should be submitted on an expense report in Concur.  

Damage and Accidents

If your vehicle is damaged while being used for University business, the University will reimburse you for your deductible up to a maximum of $1,000 for physical damage to your vehicle only. The University’s automobile liability policy may cover third-party liability damages in excess of the coverage available under your personal auto policy. If your car is damaged by a University vehicle and the driver of the University vehicle is determined to be at fault, the University will pay for all necessary repairs.

Travel Tips