Vendor Insurance Requirements

The University requires outside parties providing work or services, or using University facilities, to provide evidence of certain types of insurance coverage at specified minimum limits. In most instances, outside parties are required to name the University as an additional insured and to provide a certificate of insurance (COI) before commencing work or before using a University facility.

Have questions? If you have a question about required coverages or would like a contract consultation, feel free to contact us.

Insurance Requirements for Outside Parties

In general, all outside parties outlined above are required to carry the following types and amounts of insurance coverage.

Commercial General Liability (GL)

The University requires all contractors to carry comprehensive general liability insurance (GL) including:

  • Bodily injury and property damage;

  • Personal and advertising injury;

  • Contractual liability;

  • Products and completed operations; and

  • Per occurrence / aggregate limit (per lists below).

General Liability Insurance Minimum Limit Requirements by Vendor Type

The coverage limits are specified minimum amounts based on the type of work performed, service provided, or activity. The University reserves the right to require higher limits from a particular contractor or vendor for a particular project or event. Note: General liability insurance is not required for educational speakers or instructors for academic presentations.

$1 million per occurrence / aggregate $2 million per occurrence/  aggregate $5 million per occurrence / aggregate
Consultant (General Management, Software) Repair / Maintenance / Onsite Installation Work Hazardous Waste Transporter / Handler
Actor / Artist / Musician Professional Health Care Provider (MD, RN, therapists) Charter Bus Company
Caterer / Food Service Provider (single event) Inflatable Attraction and Amusement Rental (carnival attraction, mechanical bull) Airplane Charter
Photographer / Videographer Outdoor Concerts Industrial Food Service Vendor
Independent Consultant / Coach Limo / Car with Driver Tournaments, Practices, Competitions, Athletic Demonstrations Asbestos Abatement
Floor Refinisher Electrician Elevator Work
Cleaner Architect, Exterior Contractor (facades, sidewalks, concrete work), Exterminator Roofing and Scaffolding Work

Workers' Compensation

Contractors and suppliers with employees must carry the state statutory minimum workers' compensation coverage limits and $500,000 for employer’s liability. This coverage only applies when required by state law.

Automobile Liability

If an outside party uses vehicle that is integral to the work performed for or services provided to the University, they must carry:

  • Bodily injury and property damage;

  • $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence; and

  • Inclusion of owned, non-owned, and hired vehicle coverage.

Professional Liability

When a supplier has a professional designation or license and / or is providing professional services, the University often requires this coverage:

  • $1,000,000 per occurrence; and

  • $1,000,000 in aggregate.

This coverage is required in addition to general liability (GL) coverage. The minimum limit for architects and engineers is $2,000,000 and may be increased depending upon the nature of the services to be provided.

Insurance Language in Contracts and Agreements

The University has established standard language regarding its insurance requirements for outside supplier contracts and agreements. You’ll find complete details on the University’s contracting website. If you have questions about insurance requirements or any modifications to standard contracting insurance provisions, contact Risk Management.

Certificate of Insurance Requirements

A certificate of insurance (COI) is a document that shows proof of insurance coverage. Contractors, suppliers, or other outside parties who will be performing work for or services to the University, or using University facilities, are required to provide evidence of the insurance required by the University by submitting a certificate of insurance to Risk Management.

The certificate of insurance must:

  • Name the Trustees of Princeton University: This includes its officers, agents, and employees as an additional insured under the outside party’s general liability policy, and states that the policy is primary to any other valid or collectable insurance in force.

  • Be Underwritten by an “A” Carrier: Demonstrate that insurance policies are underwritten by a carrier rated at least "A" by Best Rating Agency.

  • Provide for 30-Days Cancellation: Contain a provision that a thirty (30) day prior written notice of cancellation shall be sent to the University.

For any athletic or sporting event, the COI must also contain the following language: “This Insurance does not exclude coverage for bodily injury to any person while observing, practicing, or participating in any sports or athletic contest or exhibition sponsored by the Named Insured.”