Student Tax Information

Here you will find general information about tax reporting, exemptions, and educational tax credits. Your residency status determines how you are taxed. U.S. citizens, resident foreign nationals, and non-resident foreign nationals are taxed differently.

Tax Reporting for Students who are U.S. Citizens (1098-T)

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires the University to file an annual tuition statement, Form 1098-T, for each student pursuing a degree who has reportable transactions, including: tuition, student activity fees, and any scholarships or grants you received during the calendar year. Each January, a copy of your 1098-T is mailed to you. You may also receive one or more IRS Form 1099, reporting other taxable income.

  • If you receive income from a scholarship or fellowship, see Scholarships and Fellowships for more information about taxability and reporting.

  • If you work for Princeton University while going to school, see Payroll Taxes.

Educational Tax Credits

The information on your 1098-T can help you determine whether or not you are eligible for Education Tax Credits.

IRS Information for Students

Tax Reporting for Students Taxed as Foreign Nationals (1042-S)

Princeton University uses Sprintax Calculus, a non-resident tax compliance system, to help determine your tax status while you are going to school in the U.S. and identify whether or not a tax treaty covers the types of payments made to you as a student. Taxable payments made to you may be subject to U.S. federal tax withholding and reported on Form 1042-S. If you received taxable payments, you will receive your Form 1042-S by March 15 following the end of the calendar year.

Payments are subject to 30% tax withholding unless you have completed treaty documentation on Sprintax Calculus and are eligible for treaty benefits. For students holding F, J, M or Q visas and who are scholarship or fellowship recipients, federal tax withholding will not exceed 14%.

  • Duplicate 1042-S: Request a duplicate 1042-S Form.

  • Scholarships and Fellowships: Learn more information about taxability, reporting scholarship and fellowship income, and possible tax treaty benefits.

  • Payroll: If you work for the University while going to school at Princeton, see Foreign National Student and Employee Payroll Taxes.

Taxation of Scholarship and Fellowships

The term scholarship at Princeton is typically used in reference to funding for an undergraduate student. The term fellowship at Princeton is typically used in reference to funding for a graduate student.

Scholarship and Fellowship Taxation Information 

Estimated Taxes for US Tax Residents

(includes: U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and International Students who are U.S. Residents for Tax Purposes)

In this video, PwC tax experts discuss estimated taxes on graduate student income and how to calculate and pay your own taxes throughout the year.  The slide deck includes reference materials and worksheets for your own use.